Sunday, December 30, 2007

My First How-To Demonstration :-) DRIZZLES


Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect food.
Michael Levine, nutrition researcher, as quoted in The Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and Mars

On the cake decorating message board I frequent, I've had several people ask me how I get my chocolate drizzles on the sides of my cakes so neat. So I thought it'd be fun to do a little video showing how I do it.
-
First off, let me say that I do not use chocolate ganache (a common question), although I am pretty sure my method would work with ganache as well. I make my chocolate by melting in the microwave semi-sweet chocolate morsels in a cup with 2 TB of crisco (give or take)...the crisco not only thins the chocolate but gives a little added shine. (By the way, this is also what I use to dip my strawberries.)

When melting chocolate in the microwave, be very careful not to get the chocolate too hot. Nothing worse than burnt chocolate in the microwave. Pee-you-weee! I avoid this by heating at 25 second intervals, stirring in-between intervals. It usually takes 2-3 intervals before chocolate is melted completely.
-
Once chocolate is melted I pour into a plastic disposable decorating bag. I get these at WalMart; made by Wilton. I've used parchment paper as well but find the parchment paper a bit harder to handle. Putting my bag in a tall glass frees my right hand for using a spatula to get all the chocolate out of the cup.
-
As you will see, I snip the end of the bag off just before I begin drizzling and must pinch the end tight until I'm ready for the chocolate to ooze, otherwise, I've got a mess on my hands. Once I get to the end of one side of the cake; I again pinch the end of the bag to stop the flow of the chocolate until I turn the cake on the turntable.
-
Drizzles are made by moving my bag in a cursive "m" motion.
-
If drizzles are too runny and run down into a puddle on the board either too much crisco was added or chocolate needs to be cooler. (In my case, it's usually that the chocolate needs to be cooler.)
-
If drizzles are not flowing very far down the sides and seem to clump at the end of each drizzle chocolate may need a bit more crisco or need to be warmed a bit more.

8 comments:

suzette said...

Lisa, it's practically therapeutic watching you do your drizzles. Mesmorizing! W.O.W. :-)

Alison said...

I know what you mean...I felt like I was in a trance watching this. And those drizzles look so perfect.

Alison said...

question....what is your morsel to shortening ratio? How much chocolate morsels do you use with that 2 Tbsp of shortening?

jamie said...

Can you do this on buttercream and fondant cakes?

Lisa said...

Never tried it on fondant covered cakes but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Amanda Muirhead said...

Thank you so very much for this tutorial!!!! I had been trying and trying to do this with pouring ganache on top of the cake and pushing it over the sides with an offset spatula...very messy and wasn't working. Your method worked PERFECT and I used ganache :) I really appreciate you taking the time of post this video!

Anonymous said...

Is this real chocolate or those candy melts, as they are called? I can never get my chocolate to be that thin and am wondering if the rest of the world uses those candy melts that I refuse to use?

Lisa said...

A, this is done with semi-sweet chocolate morsels with a bit of vegetable shortening added to thin. You can also use ganache made with a high enough ratio of heavy whipping cream so that it is thinner, if that combo doesn't appeal to you. The morsels harden up a bit whereas the ganache stays softer.